Connie and Zack: the conspiracy of two

Just a forum where my wife and I can ramble together

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

100 Word Exercise One (thanks Mark)

Pomona was once a lush country town. Now, in one lifetime, the blight of Los Angeles extends to the place of my birth and beyond.

When I think of the heat-mirage concrete and smog, I remember the sensation of fear.

What wasn’t I afraid of then? The rough staccato of gunshots punctuated summer nights. All around us were the hungry poor and the predators who feed on them.

My brother and I went to Catholic school. It felt like an oasis in the desert of the urban reality. My mother worked and went to school. We saw her only rarely.

3 Comments:

At 8:07 AM, Blogger anne said...

hmmm... this exercise seems like it would be more difficult because of the word constraint.

 
At 8:09 AM, Blogger zditty said...

It was strange. In a way, it's a better exercise because you must meet the word limit.

I am glad Mark suggested it.

 
At 9:59 AM, Blogger xtinehlee said...

...how about a grammatically correct, 100 word SENTENCE?

a great writer i took a workshop with did this exercise with us (the grammatically correct, 100 word sentence)...challenging, but it had a unique outcome. the idea being you will get a crux of a story!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home