Connie and Zack: the conspiracy of two

Just a forum where my wife and I can ramble together

Thursday, March 02, 2006

A new experience and a blessing

Yesterday was Ash Wednesday. I came in to work with ashes on my forehead and proceeded to get asked all sorts of questions. Here's a sample:

- There are the innocent ones: "What is that on your forehead?" These folks don't have Catholic friends.

-There are the more rude versions: "You got s--t on your forehead" Yeah, I know.

- And then the general Anti-Catholic tone: "You're Catholic?" As if being Catholic were a disease you'd not want to admit to in public.

When I went to Mass, I did not expect the reactions I'd get. I did not expect the feel of being excluded, marked, somehow different. Growing up Mexican in Los Angeles, going to twelve years of Catholic school, I guess I was sheltered from the disdain folks harbor for my faith.

I never set out to be a messenger for my beliefs. It's not that I am holier because I go to church. I am a profound sinner, and I just recently began to repair my relationship with the Catholic Church. It seems strange to me that I would be the voice for Catholicism in the office.

Still, I am so glad for the experience. I got to explain my faith to the curious and endure the taunts of the less-than-nice. It is a blessing to be ridiculed for your beliefs:

"Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you." Matthew Ch. 5:11-12


6 Comments:

At 8:06 AM, Blogger xtinehlee said...

I got similar weird looks when I was converting to Judaism (orthodox, no less). Tolerance and acceptance have its pockets, don't they? It opened me up to another aspect of Berkeley Liberalism. :)

But I accept you Zack! I am happy to see you engaged in spirituality and find a connection to something so meaningful to you.

 
At 8:31 AM, Blogger zditty said...

Thank you for your nice thoughts Christine. Yes, there is an ugly side of liberalism in Berkeley:

"We tolerate all people and practices, so long as they are secular or New-Agey."

Your acceptance means a lot to me, as you know how true it is that I am a profound sinner. You don't call me a hypocrite, despite knowing the way in which I've lived my life. That is very important to me.

 
At 1:14 AM, Blogger Paula said...

Hi!
Just caught your site surfing for blogs on catholicism. Thought I'd share a bit of my experience.


When I worked outside the homenot too long ago, in the late 90's (I stay home with little ones now), I would go to daily mass on my lunch break quite often. The news eventually got out when people wondered why I was not flexible in my lunch time, or why I wouldn't join them for lunch, I would tell them I was going to church. The reactions were interesting and varied, and lots of it depended on if people were in a group or if it was a one on one conversation.
As time went on, an interesting thing started to happen. People started coming to me with prayer requests for me to take with me to church. Many people just ignored it, which was fine. Some people ridiculed me, but not the mature ones. But whenever someone was struggling, they took me aside and quietly asked me to pray for them when I went to church, which I was happy to do.

Your story brought that memory back to me, and I thought I would share. I hope you find a similar blessing happening in your life. You can be a witness by quiet action.

God bless you in your walk with Him.

 
At 8:09 AM, Blogger zditty said...

Thanks Paula.

god bless you too!

 
At 7:07 PM, Blogger Jen(n) said...

"It is a blessing to be ridiculed for your beliefs..."

Only a strong person could say this. I don't think I could say this and believe it. I think this is going to be very good for you.

 
At 8:12 AM, Blogger zditty said...

Thanks for your comment Jen. As usual, you are very sweet to me.

It sounds cheesy, but I think I am getting stronger. Or, more truthfully, I can borrow more strength when I need it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home