Connie and Zack: the conspiracy of two

Just a forum where my wife and I can ramble together

Monday, February 27, 2006

My Family Understands

I have begun to read the much discussed A Million Little Pieces by James Frey. While I know that the events recounted in the book did not happen in the way he describes, I find myself moved by the narrative. It hits a raw little spot in my mind.

Addiction colors the history of my family. It goes back on both sides and it continues today. My family understands what watching people you care about poison themselves, slowly, to death, feels like. Some of us (like my father) know what recovery can feel like too.

As I enter the world of the novel, I decide to accept it at face value. That the author lied about his experiences cannot take away from the hard lessons of the work.

A lie can be true to the audience.

2 Comments:

At 10:02 AM, Blogger Diane Viere said...

I just finished posting an entry on my blog about the value of James Frey's books....and thought I would do a little browsing on the topic. I appreciate your comments and could feel the mercy, grace and forgiveness you offer due to life experiences. Not everyone is able to do just that...so just wanted to to say...thanks for your perspective.

I enjoyed reading your comments and will stop in from time to time, feel free to do the same.

 
At 10:58 AM, Blogger zditty said...

Thanks for dropping by! I will include your family in my prayers.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home