Connie and Zack: the conspiracy of two

Just a forum where my wife and I can ramble together

Thursday, December 30, 2004

My Top Five Movies of 2004

Connie and I have discussed making a list each and comparing. In my mid-morning stupor, I have decided to go first.

These are in reverse order (5 first, you get it right?).

5. The Motorcycle Diaries

This is a film in which we see illustrated the subjectivity of experience. Two characters have this long jorney, and at the end one seems changed, the other perhaps not (or not to the same degree). It is also a road movie.

Judging from my wife and other womens' reactions, it is the film in which I learned that
Gael GarcĂ­a Bernal is hotter than Diego Luna.

4.
Collateral

Picture Tom Cruise as an oldish cold-blooded killer. Really. He doesn't save the day, he isn't charming. I loved the interaction between his Vincent and
Jamie Foxx's character Max, an unwilling accomplice to a string of murders. Michael Mann 's direction style, complete with its vivid view of Los Angeles under-life and realistic gun violence, makes this piece the best movie I've seen in a while.

3.
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

This is NOT a romantic comedy. And this isn't a traditional
Jim Carrey vehicle either. The film is a strangee study of memory and how people deal with relationship problems. The bulk of this film is the externalization of internal states (memory and loss of memory), something I am a huge fan of. Be prepared to be touched.

2.
Before Sunset

Man, it was hard to decide if this should be one or two. I highly recommend seeing
Before Sunrise before you go to this film, because this is a sequel. Basically, it is a short, real-time study of faded love and a missed opportunity. Julie Delpy is once again amazing as Celine, and Ethan Hawke continues to impress me as Jesse, the American who is in Paris to promote his book about the one night love affair these two characters had eight years prior.

I don't generally like "romantic" movies, and it's not that I'm a total macho-dude. I think most of them get real human feeling totally wrong. This movie does not. What you see is a lot of awkward talk, wasted time, etc. when both of the characters know that this may very well be their final meeting. It is painful and beautiful to view the scene unfold, and the impressive camera view of Paris creates the perfect backdrop for all the drama.

1.
Garden State

I've written about this movie before, so I won't go into too much here. Just know that I love this film, with the only flaw being the cheesy ending.


Well, We'll just see what my wife's list looks like. Happy New Year everyone!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home