Connie and Zack: the conspiracy of two

Just a forum where my wife and I can ramble together

Saturday, November 04, 2006

Gym-tastic

I sit today in quiet glee. Thirty-three years old, I have finally joined a gym. I don't want to lose weight, and I am not really looking to get stronger. What I am hoping for, in short, is a chance to dodge a family curse.

I doubt other males in my family payed attention to this moment in a man's health. Cardio exercise helps keep the heart in shape. Men in my family have bad tickers. It's before things start going south that you have to address fitness. I find myself at the very edge now, when I feel good but I haven't done enough to keep myself healthy. I am not feeling heavy moving around. I focus the efforts on getting the heart rate up.

I am choosing to avoid heart disease and other chronic diseases that men in the family get by taking baby steps into cardio town. Could this simple choice make such a huge difference that it can write off genetic dispositions? Not without a lot of other decisions to follow through on some kind of program.

I am happy that I took the little step of elevating my rate to the good zone for about twenty minutes this morning. Tomorrow, the goal will be twenty five minutes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home