Connie and Zack: the conspiracy of two

Just a forum where my wife and I can ramble together

Monday, April 10, 2006

City Bumpkin

For all my dearly bought education, I am somehow less cultured than those around me who might be considered my peers.

I walk among you, I look like you (thanks to those aforementioned Spaniards and Irishmen and Englishmen) but I am different. Since I was not raised in the country, I call my experience that of a "city bumpkin." It is sort of a chip on my shoulder, sort of a mark of shame, to be as undereducated about a lot of important things as I am.

As I write this, I realize that it is just a fact about me that I lack the cultural background many have. In a sense, it is neither good nor bad. It is also completely up to me how I proceed from here. What is past is prelude.*




*This is a quote, and I must admit I don't know where from. If I were cultured, perhaps I could cite it properly! :)

3 Comments:

At 5:28 PM, Blogger Jen(n) said...

Yikes! If you're a city bumpkin then I'm far lower on the totem pole than you... You and Connie are two of the smartest people I know.

 
At 9:13 AM, Blogger zditty said...

Thanks Jen!

I really appreciate the compliment (I bet Con does too).

It's not that I don't understand I have something going on upstairs. What I was writing about was captured more precisely by the phrase "high culture." Con has some of this in her background; I have virtually none.

I am not proud of being ignorant of "high culture" but I am not feeling like I have to be apologetic about my lack of culture either. I will pick things up as I go. I am really good at picking things up as I go. It is one of my gifts.

 
At 5:33 PM, Blogger Jen(n) said...

Word. And shit.

Signed,
Also devoid of high culture. Or any culture, really. And not apologetic about it either.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home