Connie and Zack: the conspiracy of two

Just a forum where my wife and I can ramble together

Wednesday, November 02, 2005

What is this obsession with pickles? We're a frat! We drink beer!

Out of my love for all things Judd Apatow related - the Ben Stiller Show, Freaks and Geeks, Anchorman and the 40 Year Old Virgin, I recently purchased "Undeclared". I'd been pondering its purchase for a while, but had my reservations. First of all, I'd never seen a single episode, and I recalled Zack and I mocking its premise when it first appeared on NBC - the shenanigans of residents living in a co-ed college dormitory at a California university. We'd already lived through that experience, at Griffiths Hall in Cal. The commercials made it seem much cheesier than our experience (and our experience involved co-ed bathrooms). Besides, it was on at the same time as Buffy. Despite critical adoration, the show was cancelled shortly after it debuted, and I mentally noted that it was an Apatow-associated project. (In case you haven't noticed, any critically adored show destined for cancellation usually attracts my attention. I guess I like to root for the underdog.) When I heard about its DVD release, I figured I would rent it. But of course, my neighborhood video store didn't carry it, nor did Blockbuster. All they seemed to have was Lost, 24, Desparate Housewives or Alias. Bleah. When I stepped into Best Buy to pick up Arrested Development's second season, I caved in. Finally, this weekend, I opened it up, and was pleasantly surprised. It really *was* a good show, and it does capture quite a bit of the dorm experience - "Don't go to the campus clinic! Doctors are bad!", listening to Adam Sandler tapes, Truth or Dare, all-nighters, etc. Many of the Amazon reviews claim that this show is better than Freaks and Geeks. It's good, but I'm not so sure about that, because really, nothing can top the "Tell her about Korea, Bob," story.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home