Connie and Zack: the conspiracy of two

Just a forum where my wife and I can ramble together

Friday, June 16, 2006

What I love about film

Simply put, books are better than film. Literature (however you define that term) requires audience participation to make the story come alive. The reader contributes the mental landscape necessary to understand the work in a far more holistic way than movies.

So, why all the fuss about movies?

I feel that there are two things movies do really well. It's maybe not an exhaustive list, but I think you, dear reader, will be free to add on stuff that makes the medium worthwhile for you.

1) Movies give you cheap thrill value. Do I need to explain how an explosion or car chase on film grabs the audience?

2) Films externalize internal states It is amazing to see the private internal thoughts of a character or group visually displayed. Film is great at showing the audience what goes on inside.

1 Comments:

At 1:08 AM, Blogger Paula said...

3)Film thinks for you, for the most part.

So when you are needing to escape from heavy duty brainwork, like: "what do I need to do so that I can meet this deadline and keep my job?",
"what exit should I take off the highway since they chose to do construction on my usual one?",
"what can I make for dinner that is quick, and everyone will eat, using just what is left in the fridge (since I'm home late from work trying to meet that deadline and going to the store would have been too far off the path taking the exit I chose to take in the aforementioned decision, so I'm late WITH an empty fridge)"
and ofcourse the
"what cleaning product is best to use on my tabiz rug without damaging it after the cat hacked up all over it after being fed by the child the dinner the child didn't want to eat?"

THAT is what I love about film:
Thoughtless escapism!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home