Connie and Zack: the conspiracy of two

Just a forum where my wife and I can ramble together

Thursday, July 21, 2005

Progress

It's a good thing I still go to therapy.

When I think about how things have been going, I see that I am progressing. This recent stress is a kind of resistance to that progress. It's true that there is an outside component to my stress , but I know enough about myself to know that there's more to the story than that.

By not engaging more directly in my own healing, I was delaying my recovery. My therapist told me to "respect my process." It sounded like double-speak until I thought about it.

What she meant is simply that I already know a natural path to allow the cortisol to pass through me. I want the chemical to go without it taking up permanent residence in my body. That's the Tao those wise men in antiquity were writing about. I possess the qualities and tools necessary to fix my own problems. I am now aware enough to know when I need someone to help me. There's always a way up.

My process involves walking. I used to walk with The Divine regularly. Those walks saved my life. No joke.

Somewhere along the way, I gave myself license to forget that.

Drink water. Take a walk. Respect your own process. Come back to a healthy place.

I can do it. You can too.

4 Comments:

At 10:21 AM, Blogger Ryan said...

So true. I think emotional/mental health is as cumulative as physical health. Adding a little exercise and changing one component of diet makes a big difference in weight and cholesterol over a few years. Similarly I think a little self awareness (via therapy and other means) has a massive cumulative effect over time (and coincidentally this is the way most antidepressants work too).

Another key thing my therapist taught me is the sort of meta-awareness you are illustrating here. Monitoring my sleep level, exercise recency, diet, and iteraction habits (including forgetfulness, lateness, and of course grumpiness) makes the difficult times less difficult because I can often anticipate in advance when a day or event will be stressful and why. It's not that I have more control but with more awareness I don't feel so helpless about not having control, if that makes any sense.

I end up reusing these lessons and this awareness constantly. Right now I am struggling to organize my workflow and workspace at my job, it's been over a year (easily) and I'm still not there but I just keep telling myself it's a cumulative process and I'll get there.

Interesting post.

 
At 11:17 AM, Blogger zditty said...

Thanks so much for your comments. It helps to know others are thinking about the same things I am.

 
At 11:40 PM, Blogger xtinehlee said...

I gave in! I got a blogger account so I can comment. :)

I am glad you are respecting yourself, and treating yourself with care. I agree -- there is a mind/body/time connection in place. Momentum, if you will...or really, more complicated than that.

 
At 7:16 AM, Blogger zditty said...

Hi Christine!

you are right that there is a momentum to progressively overcoming depression. Ryan is also right in that meta-awareness is a key component.

When I write about it, it sometimes seems very complicated. In fact, it's basic. Basic awareness of self is my big secret. And now, it's out there.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home